Communication Tips From Some Of The World’s Best
I was recently re-reading an old Business Week article entitled The Great Communicators; which outlined some secrets of the worlds greatest business communicators. Effective communication is skill that we can all learn and polish; it’s about the ability to be persuasive, believable, inspirational, charismatic, authentic and overall magnetic.
We are all drawn to different styles of communicators; however the end result to effective communication is the same, the communicators were able to take us on a journey and make us like it. It doesn’t matter if you are a: SAHM, Pastor, CEO, Teacher, Politician, Worship Leader, Customer Service Rep., Leader, Coach… we can all learn from effective communicators. Here are 12 Tips from some of the world’s best business communicators:
- 1. Jack Welch(Former CEO of General Electric)– Best communication asset: Simplicity Tip: Eliminate jargon.
- 2. Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple)- Best communication asset: Charisma Tip: Create and articulate a bold vision.
- 3. Meg Whitman (CEO of Ebay)- Best communication asset: Penchant for listening Tip: Seek feedback.
- 4. John Chambers (CEO of Cisco Systems)- Best communication asset: Preparedness Tip: Review and rehearse your presentation.
- 5. David Neeleman (CEO of JetBlue Airways)- Best communication asset: Talent for storytelling Tip: Tell tales that inspire.
- 6. Howard Schultz (CEO of Starbucks)- Best communication asset: Passion Tip: Identify and share what you’re passionate about.
- 7. Suze Orman (Author, TV Host)- Best communication asset: Clarity of expression Tip: Break down complex information into easy parts.
- 8. Rudy Giuliani (Former NYC Mayor)- Best communication asset: Ability to make eye contact Tip: Spend 90% of the time looking at your audience.
- 9. John Thompson(CEO of Symantec)- Best communication asset: Facileness with optimistic language Tip: Employ powerful and positive words.
- 10. Klaus Kleinfeld (CEO of Siemens)- Best communication asset: Ability to reinvent Tip: Stay fresh, remain current.
- 11. Larry Ellison (CEO of Oracle)- Best communication asset: Looking like a leader Tip: Pay attention to what your wardrobe says about you.
- 12. Richard Branson (CEO of Virgin Group)- Best communication asset: Generosity with praise Tip: Lavish appropriate praise on employees, customers, and colleagues.
Who are some of your favorite communicators and why? Do you have any additional tips to add?